National Cat Day was founded by Jason Merrill. It is a celebration that takes place on October 29th, every year in the United States. The National Cat Day website states that the holiday was first celebrated in 2005 "to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of cats that need to be rescued each year and also to encourage cat lovers to celebrate the cat(s) in their life for the unconditional love and companionship they bestow upon us." The day is supported by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, a nonprofit organization which also works to encourage pet adoption.
Great things you can do to celebrate National Cat Day.
1. Adopt a cat from Purrfect Companions Sanctuary.
2. Make a commitment to your cat’s health and buy all natural products from food to litter, such as BLUE Naturally Fresh Cat Litter made from walnuts.
3. Donate money, blankets, food and toys to Purr-fect Companions or other animal welfare organizations.
4. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to play with some cats available for adoption, clean cages and litter boxes or anything else they need help with. 216-671-6369
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of kitten mills and gas chambers in your state.
6. Bake some cat shaped cookies for your kids, friends or office and bake some tuna cookies for your cat.
7. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it's safe for your new cat.
8. Spend the day taking photos of your cat and posting them on our Facebook page.
9. Buy an official National Cat Day Tee here and sport it proudly!
10. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by cleaning their cat’s litter box and playing with their cat.
11. Commission a custom portrait painted of your cat.
12. Buy your cat a fun new toy....condo, bed or treats!
13. Give your cat some fun exercise by putting up some walls shelves specifically for him/her.
14. Make a window perch for your cat to lay in the sun.
15. Brush your cat to eliminate excess fur and hairballs.
16. Give your cat a calming massage.
17. Paint your face, wear kitty ears or dress in cat related fashion.
18. Buy your cat a collar and tag with your name and number, just in case they get outside and happen to become lost.
19. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
20. Have a National Cat Day party and invite all your friends and their cats!
Cats bring us all much happiness and joy. Show your love for all cats in the world!